Table of Contents
Why Choose Elkus & Sisson P.C. as Your Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
The law firm of Elkus & Sisson, P.C. can provide you with an experienced and top rated motorcycle accident attorney. We have over 15 years of experience helping motorcyclists receive proper compensation following an accident. Set up your free consultation with a skilled attorney that will get you compensated for your motorcycle accident injuries.
At Elkus & Sisson, P.C., we know the importance of the client-attorney relationship. When you hire us, you get the power of a large firm with the personalized attention of a small practice.
We are prepared to provide you with strategic representation that puts your best interests first. When you’re dealing with the trauma of a motorcycle accident, we are here for you.
What to do after Being Involved in a Motorcycle Accident
First and foremost you will want to seek medical attention or seek medical attention for anyone else involved if they need it. Once you have done that then there are a number of additional things you should do:
- Report the accident to authorities.
- Exchange name, phone number, and insurance information with the other party.
- Get as much information from witnesses possibly a video witness statement using your phone.
- Take photos of the accident.
- Search for a top rated motorcycle accident lawyer.
- Schedule a free consultation.
The video below has some great advice for what to do and what NOT to do after your motorcycle accident.
Receiving Compensation After a Motorcycle Accident
We realize money doesn’t make up for the pain of your injuries or the grief of losing a loved one in a motorcycle accident. However, we can help you move forward by fighting hard to get the compensation you deserve.
In Colorado you are entitled to receive compensation even if you were partially at fault. Colorado is a comparative fault state so your compensation will be based on how much of a role you played in the motorcycle accident.
In addition to the pain and suffering associated with a motorcycle accident injury, the motorcyclist and their family are left dealing with:
- expensive medical costs
- lost wages
- difficult insurance negotiations
- potentially long-term or permanent disability.
Our personal injury attorneys will strive to recover damages associated with:
- Medical costs
- Pain & suffering
- Loss of income
- Future lost wages
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Punitive damages
- Funeral & burial expenses
- Loss of services, care or assistance
Proving Liability in a Motorcycle Accident
Motorcycle accidents frequently result in serious injury and even death. Motorcyclists are usually the one who bears the brunt of the injuries. Often, these accidents are the result of other drivers’ reckless or negligent behavior. “I didn’t see him,” is frequently used as an excuse, but in reality, many car and truck drivers aren’t even looking.
We know that the key to a successful resolution is the careful and thorough investigation of your case. We work with a nationally known investigative group, making sure that all the facts are gathered, leaving no stone unturned.
Proving liability in a motorcycle accident can be complicated. This is why it is crucial to hire an experienced personal injury attorney to help.
Common Factors that May Contribute to Motorcycle Accidents
Each accident is unique but there are some common causes of motorcycle accidents.
Most people associate distracted driving to using their phones. Cell phone use is one of the major distracted driving causes but it can also be related to eating or playing with the radio. Motorcycles are already at a disadvantage because of the decreased visibility. Distracted drivers have an increased chance of not being aware of their surroundings and not seeing nearby motorcycles.
Proving readable and accurate signage is the responsibility of the city or town you are in. Confusing signs can lead to indecision to cars or motorcycles leading to accidents.
Poor Road Maintenance
Road maintenance can also contribute to motorcycle accidents. Again the responsibility of the road maintenance is on city or town you are in. Things like excessive pot holes and loose gravel can contribute to unsafe conditions.
Defective Motorcycle Parts
A defective part can lead to a very unsafe situation or even an accident. Defective brakes, tires, fuel lines, chain, handlebars, rear tire defects, are all common motorcycle part defects that can lead to an accident.
A Poorly Maintained Motorcycle
It is crucial to maintain your bike according to the manufacturer’s guidelines. It is even more important to make sure the mechanic is qualified to perform the required maintenance.
Driving Under the Influence
Operating a motorcycle under the influence of drugs or alcohol can happen quickly. Sometimes it only takes one or two drinks to exceed Colorado’s limit of .08% BAC.
In Colorado about 60 people per day are pulled over for impaired driving (according to CDOT). The legalization of marijuana in Colorado has made impaired driving a larger issue especially in the Denver and surrounding areas.
How to Reduce Your Liability in a Motorcycle Accident
- Do not drink alcohol prior to operating your bike - We never recommend operating your motorcycle after even a drink or two. It is crucial for your safety that you never operate your bike while under the influence. In Colorado .08% is the Blood Alcohol Limit (BAC).
- Do not operate your bike while high - In Denver this has become an issue biker needs to be more aware of. Although marijuana is legal in Denver it can lead to slower decision making. If you are involved in an accident it could play a role in the outcome.
- Keep your motorcycle well maintained - Following a manufacturer’s maintenance schedule and having it done by a certified mechanic is important. It can decrease the chances you are caught in a dangerous situation on the road. Make sure you keep all records of service you have had on your bike.
- Follow the speed limit - It is easy to find yourself going much faster than the speed limit. It is easy to do on sport bikes that can reach speeds of over 150 mph or more. Motorcycles are already at a disadvantage as far as visibility. Driving at speeds well over the speed limit can decrease your visibility from other drivers.
- Take a safety training course - Be aware of all the safety precautions motorcycle operators need to know. Here is an option for motorcycle safety in Colorado.
Motorcycle Accident Attorneys In Denver Looking Out For Your Best Interest
Our job is to help you recover and move forward with your life.
Allow a skilled and experienced motorcycle accident attorney from Elkus & Sisson, P.C. guide you through the entire legal process, from start to finish.
To get started give us a call at (303) 567-7981 to set up a free consultation.
Our offices are located just south of Denver in Greenwood Village. If you take I-25 south from Denver then exit the Belleview exit you will find our office building located on the southwest corner of Belleview Ave. and Quebec St.